Pallimed: A Hospice and Palliative Medicine Blog

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Organization-Centric vs. Network-Centric - The Plot Continues

This week we are asked to contemplate the idea that the organization-centric model is characterized by our ability to tap expertise and share knowledge is constrained. In the network-centric model however, it is more expanded. The implication cited was "when we look for knowledge, leadership, and expertise, we will increasingly be able to access it in places that were once beyond our reach." When I consider my place of employment, I see elements of both models. I suspect the organization would PREFER the organization-centric model, but I think people are thirsty to push the boundaries and are unwilling to SETTLE for constrained knowledge and sharing. I believe the prevailing sentiment is "I don't need you to LET me seize the world, I can do it on my own." I wonder if organizations are a little intimidated to allow workers to go down paths that haven't been sanctioned by the organization? I know this sounds like "you young whippersnappers" but that's progress for you!

The second characteristic we were asked to contemplate is that in an organization-centric model, effectiveness is equated with longevity, while in the network-centric model effectiveness is equated with mobilization. I will admit that I am proud that the School of Pharmacy where I am faculty is one of the oldest in the country, and I am proud of our rich tradition. But we are ever mindful that we cannot rest on our laurels; I have witnessed first hand how beneficial transient team work can be - I agree that groups can come together to serve a purpose, then dissociate when the job is done.

Basically, whether organizations like it or not, I believe the network-centric model is being implemented, even if leadership isn't leading this charge!

1 comment:

  1. I think institutions don't change because of inertia as well as for skepticism. Inertia may be the hardest obstacle to reverse as it creates a lack of desire. In a way it is an emotion, the pulling back from change due to the extra work and bother it might create. The longer I work in this field, I also begin to feel that pull to remain in place “what, not another change of process!” I fight the urge to settle every day and look to ways to improve the process of corporate education due to the fact that the corporate world never stops changing. Therefore, I can’t rest on my laurels but embrace the change as a challenge and look forward to what I may learn attacking it.

    ReplyDelete