Pallimed: A Hospice and Palliative Medicine Blog

Sunday, July 28, 2013

My Way or the Highway? The Future of Workplace Tools


I think many people in training and development in large corporations don't "trust" employees to "get it" through informal learning. Many educators at academic institutions think the same way! "If I don't teach it to them, they won't get it! I know what's best for them!" I have always been a rebel (and damned proud of it!) and I'm pushing HARD for a flipped classroom! Students don't need me to yap at them and they read as well as I do. Let them gain the knowledge transfer on their own time - read a book, listen to a podcast, watch a recorded mini-lecture. Then let's use class time for applied and informal learning. I'm all excited about the potential of wiki's now thanks to my book report. Maybe it’s time to send the teachers back to school and have them score a little informal learning! Maybe it would be easier to point out that all adults learn so much informally, and they don’t even realize they are doing it! The next time someone in my office watches me work on the computer and exclaims “Hey, how’d you do that?” before I answer them I’m going to tell they – “Hey – that’s informal learning! And it will be on the quiz!”

1 comment:

  1. Lynn:

    Great post! I completely agree with you on the flipped classroom concept. And, now with sites offering webinars or courses from top universities such as:
    Udacity: https://www.udacity.com/ and edXOnline: https://www.edx.org/
    Coursera: https://www.coursera.org/

    I honestly think the future of education will be students learning on their own via informal learning and meeting as group for active learning, OSCEs, laboratory activities. Right now students tend to not show up to class anyways, but do show up for laboratory activities and enjoy learning as group and collaborating with eachother. I am also a rebel who will join you in this adventure! Let's take higher education to the next level!

    Best,

    Livia

    ReplyDelete