Pallimed: A Hospice and Palliative Medicine Blog

Sunday, June 16, 2013


Wikis, Texts and Blogs, Oh My!

Our first reading was titled “Working Wikily” – what in the world does that mean? The author used wiki’s as one example of the wave of social media options that are literally causing a revolution world-wide in how society of getting things done. Defining characteristics include principles of openness, transparency, decentralized decision-making and distributed action. This all describes the principles of networking, which is not a new concept, but IS different by virtue of new tools and technologies at our disposal.

Clay Shirky describes three key features of these emerging tools and technologies – they are “social” and allow “many-to-many” connections, and they allow both simultaneous and asynchronous interactions between people.

In a way, it’s a little intimidating thinking of what could come from this snow-balling effect in social media and networking. I have images of flash mob type networks running amok in society, with no way to throw on the brakes! The authors of “Working Wikily” admit that it’s still too early to know how all these different network experiments will turn out. But because it’s less expensive and arduous to launch a new endeavor, it’s easier and less risky to try someone new than in the past.

The authors pose a series of questions concerning these exponentially growing networks. How do we know whether networks really work? How do you balance the need for control with the productivity of networks? This is the one I’m really interested in. It seems to me that networking could easily devolve into social anarchy (did I mention I’m a tiny bit of a control freak?). Other questions include how do online networks translate into action in the real world, is this causing a shift in power between experts and amateurs (is everyone an expert now?), what the heck happened to privacy and security, and how will all this affect membership organizations? Am I the only one old enough to remember when AOL charged money to have an email?

All I know is my husband better get it in gear and get a new cell phone! The one he has now is the first model that came out after “the brick!” I want to be able to text him his “Honey Do” list!

The second reading was titled “Working Smarter Through Workscaping.” I have long espoused working smarter, not harder. Thinking it’s a great idea and actually operationalizing it is sometimes a horse of a different color!

I especially like the discussion regarding how in 1968 we carried 75% of what we need to know to do our jobs in our heads, but in 2006 we only carried around 8-10%! Yes, we all have “outboard brains” – smart phones with databases, iPads, laptops, and more. Today it is a more important skill to know WHERE to go to access information and to develop “critical thinking skills” to interpret the information once you find it. Although it’s interesting to note that older professionals are more likely to praise new learners in their field for NOT having to reach for their “outboard brains!” One of our pharmacy students on rotation recently shared with me that their pharmacist preceptor praised the student for knowing a series of facts without having to access their smart phone! There must be a good balance in there somewhere!

It was a little disheartening to read the passing on why school (in other words, my full time job) is not an effective way to learn things. I think the challenge for those of us in higher education is to now try to incorporate some of the principles espoused by this author regarding workscapes!

The last reading was about using Twitter for Social Learning – I’m just happy I’m up and running in Twitter – I think it will take me quite a while to slog through the explosion of readings on how to use twitter for presentations and events; classes, training and learning and other activities!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynn,
    I love your sense of humor and I do remember when AOL charged for an email account! Technology, especially social media, is changing at lightning speed. I am excited about this class and learning the technologies and which ones make the most sense for me to use. Like you, I was a bit disheartened to read why school (the old-fashioned brick and mortar schools) are not the most effective way to learn. However, I strongly believe that there is still a place for them. Even with the technology, the vast resources we can tap into in less than a second, there really is no substitute for the human factor. It is my hope that rather than go by the wayside, we will find the most effective ways to blend virtual and real classrooms - giving the students the best from both worlds. The opportunities that presents for learning and growing are boundless!
    I look forward to your next blog.

    ReplyDelete