Pallimed: A Hospice and Palliative Medicine Blog

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Interview with David Kelly (I'm sorry ADDIE!)

We had an opportunity to speak with David Kelly this week, program director for the eLearning guild. I was struck by two things in this interview. First, I asked how he personally achieves professional development. He asked "have you heard of a personal learning network." Oh, have we heard of a PLN! Clearly his soul is nurtured by informal and social learning (twitter is his drug of choice). Mr. Kelly stated that he enjoys reaching out to colleagues, and uses their recommendations to build his personal library.

The second thing that struck me was his discussion of how the ADDIE model of instructional design has evaluation at the END of the process, and that's too late. But wait - I can hear Chuck Hodell in my head saying "even though E is at the end of the pneumonic, evaluation takes place THROUGHOUT the process!" Mr. Kelly mentioned a recent move away from ADDIE, toward SAM. He recommended the book "Leaving Addie for SAM: An Agile Model for Developing the Best Learning Experiences" by Michael W. Allen. The SAM model refers to "Successive Approximation Model" and the Savvy Start. I'm with one of the reviewers who wrote on Amazon "When I first read "leaving ADDIE" in the title, I had a mild panic - I consider myself an ISD disciple, so ADDIE is coded into my designer's DNA." I can sympathize with this sentiment. Oh well, at the beginning of this journey I shared that my goal was to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. I've ordered the book, and I'll blog again when I've read it. Maybe there's room in my life for both ADDIE and SAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment